About the Municipality of Salcedo, Eastern Samar
Salcedo was originally named Naga because of the abundance of narra trees growing in the place.
On December 8, 1862, by virtue of a religious decree handed down by then Bishop of Cebu, the visita of San Isidro de Sudao was changed into a town and was named Salcedo, in honor of Legaspi’s grandson, Juan Salcedo, a conqueror of Luzon.
The municipality of Salcedo is located along the eastern seaboard of the province of Eastern Samar in Region VIII, or the Eastern Visayas Region. Salcedo, a fifth class municipality, covers a total land area of 113.68 square kilometers (sq km). It is bounded on the north by Matarina Bay; on the south by the municipality of Mercedes, Eastern Samar; on the east by the Pacific Ocean; and on the West by the Leyte Gulf. It is composed of 41 barangays, with 26 coastal barangays and two (2) island barangays.
Residents of Salcedo dominantly speak Waray-Waray and Bisaya dialects. Tagalog and English are also widely spoken languages. The Roman Catholics have the biggest population at more than 90 percent of the total population of Salcedo. The other two groups are the Seventh Day Adventists and the Iglesia ni Cristo.
Pursuant to the Local Government code, the municipal mayor exercises general supervision and control over twelve (12) local executive offices. These are the staff and line offices that deliver basic services to the people of Salcedo. These offices include the Municipal Planning and Development Office, Municipal Budget Office, Municipal Accountant Office, Human Resource Management Office, Municipal Assessor’s Office, Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office, Municipal Health Office, Municipal Civil Registrar’s Office, Office of the Municipal Agricultural Services, Municipal Environment and Natural Resources Office, Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office and the Office of the Municipal Engineer.
The local Sangguniang Bayan assists the municipal mayor in terms of enacting local ordinances and approving local resolutions and appropriating funds for the general welfare of the municipality and its inhabitants.